Yes! CaPPP is 20 years old, to mark our anniversary this year’s annual gathering is going to be a good one – a day of free, high quality CPD, networking and a celebration lunch for members – and yes, there will be cake!
We are lucky to be joined by Vathani Navasothy, Eating disorder specialist, who will lead a workshop on working with disorderly eating. There will be a panel discussion and testimony from our own Tina Noble, alongside plenty of breaks for networking and an extended celebration lunch.
Disorderly eating remains more common than Eating Disorders (such as Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder). Vathani will discuss how to detect disorderly eating in our clients, based on presentation, appearance, attitude and behaviour. She will highlight challenges and aspects to be mindful of when dealing with serious conditions such as Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Orthorexia (where dieting goes wrong), and Selective Eating (ARFID) that reveals mental health issues. All especially relevant now as COVID has left many with Comfort Eating habits that did not even exist prior to lockdown.
Vathani will walk us through appropriate interventions, tools to explore in session, and possible joint working, including key referrals and medical interventions / treatment.
1. build confidence for Counsellors and Therapists dealing with clients with disorderly eating habits.
2. equip CaPPP Members with therapeutic and everyday tools
3. appreciate correct language and effective communication – building greater empathy for your client’s frame of reference.
4. raise awareness through some sample Case studies.
• Signs and symptoms, causes and maintaining factors
• Health and emotional issues and any safety considerations
• Useful tools and therapeutic strategies for Counsellors and Therapists
• Best practice for dealing with body dysmorphia and other disorderly eating styles including helpful referral protocol
• Improved confidence to handle clients with body dysmorphia and other disorderly eating.
• Knowledge of signs & symptoms
• Do’s and don’ts when it comes to dealing with your clients, including use of language.
• Consideration for getting the appropriate medical help in a timely manner
• Support & self-care suggestions for delegates
Vathani Navasothy, Eating disorder specialist, Author and Trainer
Vathani has 30 years of experience and is a featured speaker at many organisations; trainer and workshop facilitator at conferences and live events on eating disorders and body image topics; including NHS, Education, and Health & Fitness industries. She is also a Professional Member of the PSA (Professional Speakers’ Association)
She is an author of CBT Self-Help book, who specialises in all areas of eating disorder treatment and a high-profile Webinar Trainer, broadcasting via the internet throughout the UK and internationally.
Member and trainer and the National Centre for Eating Disorders and member of BACP; some of her previous partners include the British Olympic Medical team, Optimus Education, organisations such as the LEA, private counselling and coaching sectors, RCN and NHS.
Vathani’s credentials include:
• Advanced Diploma in Eating Disorders and Obesity Practitioner Skills
• Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling (BACP accredited)
• MSc in Exercise and Health Behaviour
• BSc in Physiology
• Diploma in Sports Psychology
• AAMET Certified EFT Practitioner; NLP & Hypnotherapy Practitioner
Price: This is a free CaPPP members only event, lunch and refreshments are included
* Places must be booked in advance by 18.00 on Wednesday 14th September.
Registration & refreshments: 9.30 to 10.00
Workshop times: 10.00 to 16.30
Venue: St Michael’s Centre, The Green, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS34 8PD. The venue is a few hundred metres from Bristol Parkway railway station with good rail, bus connections and plenty of nearby parking. https://www.stmichaelsvenuehire.co.uk/location